The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens that a country-wide taxi strike is expected to take place in cities throughout Colombia from 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 10. The National Association of Taxi Drivers will be demonstrating against Uber and similar ride-sharing services. The Colombian National Police anticipates thousands of marchers on major roads throughout Bogota. In Cartagena, marches are expected to converge on Centenario Park. There may be significant traffic disruptions in cities throughout Colombia including Bogota, Cartagena, Cali, Barranquilla, Bucaramanga, Medellin, Armenia, Valledupar, and Villavicencio.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information about security in Colombia:
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and ColombiaCountry Specific Information.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Colombia, located at Carrera 45, # 24B-27, Bogotá, D.C., by email at email@example.com or by telephone at +571-1 275-2000, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Non-emergency services are offered by appointment. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +571-1 275-4021.
· The Embassy operates a Consular Agency in Barranquilla, Colombia which also provides assistance to U.S. citizens. The Barranquilla Consular Agency is located at Calle 77B No. 57-141, suite 511, tel. (575) 353-2001. Hours are 8:00 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday. You can schedule a non-emergency service by calling the Consular Agency.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.