The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens that on Friday, March 10, 2017, the City of Vilnius issued an emergency warning concerning Legionella bacteria (Legionnaire’s Disease) identified in the hot water systems in two residential properties in the Zirmunai district, at Tuskulenu gatve 5 and Ladygos gatve 3.
For more information about Legionella please see: https://www.cdc.gov/legionella/
To prevent further harm to residents and the possible spread of Legionella, the City’s emergency center has suggested property owners increase tap water temperatures above 70 degrees Celsius in all apartment buildings this week. Following a period of increased temperatures, samples should be taken by property owners from both the hot and cold water systems for laboratory testing over next several weeks.
For further information:
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Country Specific Informationfor Lithuania. For additional information, refer to the "Traveler's Checklist" on the State Department's website.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Lithuania, located at Akmenu Gatve. 6, Vilnius, Lithuania LT-03106. Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(370) (5) 266 5500. Fax: +(370) (5) 266 5590. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Public phone hours: Monday-Thursday: 10-12 AM and 2-4 PM. Friday: 10-12 AM and 2-3 PM.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.