U.S. citizens should be aware that Belgian authorities continue to investigate new and ongoing terrorist threats. Recent arrests and police raids have been widely reported in the media. OCAD/OCAM, the Belgian Coordinating Unit for Threat Analysis has maintained its terrorism threat rating at Level 3.
U.S. citizens are reminded that the Level 3 rating indicates that a terrorist attack is probable and are advised to avoid large gatherings of people. Recent State Department Europe Travel Alerts, dated May 31, 2016 and Nov. 21, 2016, warn of the risk of potential terrorist attacks in Europe targeting major events, tourist sites, restaurants, and commercial and transportation centers. Also look at Worldwide Caution: Worldwide Travel Alert for U.S. Citizens (9 September, 2016).
The Alert suggests the following measures be employed:
- Exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation.
- Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities, especially in an emergency.
- Monitor media and local event information sources and factor updated information into your travel plans and activities.
- Be prepared for additional security screening and unexpected disruptions.
Please check our U.S. Citizens page regularly. For the latest info about Brussels Airport, check this page.