This message updates the Emergency Message the U. S. Embassy in Berlin sent on December 19 informing U.S. citizens that a truck drove into the Christmas Market at Breitscheidplatz. German media reports the Christmas market attack investigation continues and the perpetrator of the attack may still be at large. In light of the on-going investigation, Embassy Berlin encourages all U.S. citizens to maintain good situational awareness, a low profile, and exercise vigilance.
We continue to work with local authorities to determine if any U.S. citizens were injured in the event. We urge U.S. citizens in Berlin to contact family members and loved ones to notify them that you are safe.
Terrorism remains a concern across Europe, particularly during the holiday period, and we encourage you to review the Europe Travel Alert.
For further information about security in Germany:
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Germany Country Specific Information.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· The American Citizen Services Unit for the U.S. Embassy Berlin is located at Clayallee 170, 14195 Berlin, and is open by appointment only Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The telephone number for routine calls is answered 2-4 p.m. Monday–Friday +49-69-7535-0; email: email@example.com. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance outside of business hours, the after-hours emergency number for the U.S. Embassy Berlin is +49-30-8305-0.
· The U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt is located at Giessener Strasse 30, 60435 Frankfurt am Main. The telephone number is +49-69-7535-0 (routine calls, 2-4 p.m. Monday–Friday); e-mail: GermanyACS@state.gov. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance outside of normal business hours, the emergency number for the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt is +49-69-7535-0.
The U.S. Consulate General in Munich is located at Königinstrasse 5 and is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. The telephone number is +49-89-2888-580 during office hours; e-mail: ConsMunich@state.gov. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance after-hours, the emergency number for the U.S. Consulate General in Munich is +49-89-2888-0.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U. S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.