U.S. Embassy Warsaw informs U.S. citizens that multiple scheduled demonstrations and events will take place in Warsaw and Krakow on Friday, November 11, 2016, in celebration of Polish Independence Day.
We remind U.S. citizens to exercise caution in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can be unpredictable and may escalate into violence. Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, monitor local news for updates, maintain a high level of vigilance, and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- Independence March organized by the Committee for the Defense of Democracy and Independence (KOD Niepodległości). Planned for 12:30-15:30. Up to 100,000 participants are possible. Route: Narutowicza Square (Grójecka/Uniwersytecka/Filtrowa intersection) – Grójecka Street – Banacha Street towards Pole Mokotowskie Park. A rally followed by a concert is planned.
- Independence March organized by the Association for the March of Independence (Stowarzyszenie Marsz Niepodległości). 14:00-20:00, with up to 50,000 participants possible. Route: Roman Dmowski roundabout (Aleje Jerozolimskie /Marszałkowska intersection) – Aleje Jerozolimskie across the Poniatowski Bridge – Wybrzeże Szczecińskie and ulica Siwca to the grounds of the National Stadium. Rallies are planned at the Roman Dmowski roundabout and at the grounds of the National Stadium, including all-day events on the grounds of the National Stadium. Obywatele RP, will counter-protest this march at the General Charles de Gaulle roundabout from 14:00-20:00.
- Two other marches in Warsaw:
14:00-19:00, with up to 2,000 participants. Route: Plac Bankowy – Senatorska Street – Miodowa Street – Krakowskie Przedmieście Street – Królewska Street – Mazowiecka Street – Świętokrzyska Street – “Swiętokrzyska” Metro Station.
15:00-19:00, with up to 3,000 participants. Route: Plac Zamkowy – Krakowskie Przedmieście Street – Królewska Street – Plac Piłsudskiego – Plac Małachowskiego – Królewska Street – Krakowskie Przedmieście Street – Świętokrzyska Street – to Plac Powstańców Warszawy.
- Independence Day celebrations organized by the Polish Government. 11:15-14:00 at Plac Piłsudskiego. After ceremonial events, a military parade is planned. Route: Plac Piłsudskiego – Królewska Street – Krakowskie Przedmieście Street – Nowy Świat Street – Aleje Jerozolimskie to the Muzeum Wojska Polskiego.
- Rallies at various sites, with up to 50 people at each event. Locations and times: Centrum Metro Station, 13:00-14:00; the Roman Dmowski monument, 8:00-22:00; Brama Straceń Cytadeli Warszawskiej, 10:30-11:30; a march from the Muzeum Wojska Polskiego to Plac Piłsidskiego, 20:00-21:00, route: Muzeum Wojska Polskiego – Aleje Jerozolimskie – Nowy Świat Street – Krakowskie Przedmieście Street – Królewska Street – Plac Piłsudskiego.
- The Rosary Crusade (Krucjata Różańcowa) Procession.10:00-13:00, with up to 700 participants. From the church at Plac Trzech Krzyży (Three Crosses Square) and ending in front of Parliament.
- The Independence Run (10k). 11:00 to 15:00, scheduled along Jana Pawła II and Niepodległości Avenues. Expect heavy traffic along this route.
The Wojewoda has extended an open invitation to all who wish to participate in the Polish Independence Day celebration; an undetermined number of participants may attend numerous events throughout the city. No demonstrations have been approved on Stolarska Street, where the Consulate General is located. Please anticipate heavy vehicle delays, as many roadways in and around the city center will be closed to vehicle traffic intermittently to support Polish Independence Day celebrations. Approved Krakow demonstrations:
- Association Trzecia Droga demonstration.15:00-19:00, with up to 10,000 participants. Route: From Rynek Główny Street – Grodzką Street – Franciszkańską Street – Straszewskiego Street – Podwale Street – Dunajewskiego Street – Basztowa Street – pl. Matejki. This demonstration will impact vehicle traffic greatly near the Krakow City center.
For more information:
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Kraków located at Ulica Stolarska 9, 31-043, telephone +48-12- 424-5100, 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., and 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., by appointment only. After-hours emergency number for U.S. Citizens is +48-601-483-348.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).