The U.S. Diplomatic Mission to South Africa informs U.S. citizens that the U.S. Government has received information that terrorist groups are planning to carry out near-term attacks against places where U.S. citizens congregate in South Africa, such as upscale shopping areas and malls in Johannesburg and Cape Town. This information comes against the backdrop of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant’s public call for its adherents to carry out terrorist attacks globally during the upcoming month of Ramadan.
U.S. citizens should:
* Exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation.
* Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places.
* Follow the instructions of local authorities, especially in an emergency.
* Monitor media and local event information sources and factor updated information into your travel plans and activities.
* Be prepared for additional security screening and unexpected disruptions.
* Stay in touch with your family, have a plan if you are separated and ensure they know how to reach you in the event of an emergency.