According to the Joint Typhoon Warning Center’s forecast as of 10:00 Hanoi time, Friday, March 30, Pakhar is now forecast to track west northwest, with the model indicating that Pakhar will make landfall near Phan Thiet around 20:00 Hanoi time on Saturday, March 31as a Category 1 Typhoon with maximum sustained winds of 65 knots (75 mph). Pakhar is then forecast to weaken to Tropical Storm strength after passing across southern Vietnam and into Cambodia.
Please continue to monitor the storm’s path by listening to the radio, watching television, or monitoring http://www.usno.navy.mil/JTWC, http://www.kttv.gov.vn, or http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com/.
Considering the damage caused by past typhoons and the projected landfall of this tropical storm/typhoon, please take the following precautionary measures to ensure minimal disruption or damage. You should also contact friends and family in the United States with updates on your whereabouts.
- Locate shelter and follow all official instructions.
- If local authorities recommend evacuation, please follow their instructions.
- Carry your travel documents at all times (i.e. U.S. passport, birth certificate, picture ID’s, etc.) or secure them in a safe, waterproof location.
- secure loose outdoor items (limbs, roofing material, windows (coverings), doors, debris (trash), etc.).
- fill vehicle, generator fuel, and water tanks.
- check and charge radios.
- charge cell phones.
- have bottled water; make ice.
- gather flashlights, tools, and first aid supplies.
- have fresh batteries, candles, matches, water, groceries (canned and/or dry foods), and pet supplies.
- assure an adequate supply of first aid materials and prescription medications.
- stay home and let your family and office know how you plan to weather the storm, especially those family members in the United States.
Additional information on hurricanes and storm preparedness may be found on the “Natural Disasters” (http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/emergencies_1207.html) page of the Bureau of Consular Affairs website. Updated information on travel in Vietnam may be obtained from the Department of State by calling 1-888-407-4747 within the United States and Canada, or from overseas, 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 am to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
For any emergencies involving U.S. citizens, please contact the American Citizens Services Unit of the U.S. Consulate General, located at 4 Le Duan, Dist. 1, Ho Chi Minh City; telephone (08) 3520-4200, fax (08) 3520-4235, email email@example.com or the U.S. Embassy’s Consular Section, located at 170 Ngoc Khanh Street, Hanoi; telephone (04) 3850-5000 extensions 6133 or 6014; after hours emergency telephone (04) 3850-5105; ACS unit fax (04) 3850-5026; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .