Location: Sacatepequez, Escuintla, Guatemala City
Event: The government of Guatemala recently reopened highway RN-14 that has been closed since Volcano Fuego erupted. RN-14 connects Antigua to Escuintla.
However, the U.S. Embassy has restricted its personnel from traveling on RN-14 due to the poor state of the road and threats of additional lahars (a type of fast-moving mudslide).
Additionally, expect traffic disruptions and delays Sunday in Guatemala City, August 26th, when the city will hold a 21k road race. More than 15,000 people are expected to participate.
Avenida Reforma and Avenida Las Americas from Zone 2 to Zone 14 will be closed from 6:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. You may cross using the underpass on Boulevard Proceres/Liberacion.
Embassy Operations: Embassy operations are normal.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid traveling at night as road conditions are especially hazardous in the dark and roads may end without warning
· Avoid traveling on RN 14 between Antigua and Escuintla
· Avoid secondary roads
· Obey all traffic laws
· Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news for updates.
· U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
Tel. (502) 2326-4000
· State Department - Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Guatemala Country Information
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
· Follow us on Facebook and Twitter