Location: Moscow and other cities throughout Russia
Event: The Russian Federation will be hosting the 2018 FIFA world Cup starting today June 14 through July 15th in 11 cities throughout Russia.
U.S. citizens should be prepared for:
- Robust police presence in and around sporting venues, Fan Zones, transportations networks, hotels, vehicle checkpoints, and major tourist sites.
- Large crowds in and around sporting venues, Fan Zones, and major tourist sites.
- Traffic street closures in and around the sporting venues.
Actions To Take:
- Carry your passport or another official form of identification at all times, Russian police officers have the right to conduct identification checks at any time.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Check Travel.state.gov for World Cup information and security recommendations.
- See our Russia 2018 – Visitor Information for the World Cup
U.S. Embassy Moscow, Russia
U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
U.S. Consulate General Vladivostok
State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Russia Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter