The U.S. Embassy in Belgrade informs U.S. citizens that on Thursday, December 7, Red Star will play Koln (Germany) at 9:00pm at Red Star Stadium in Belgrade. This is a high risk event because of animosity between the teams’ fans and clashes during a previous match. There is a potential for violence before, during, and after this match. Expect a large police presence and large crowds around the stadium. Road closures and possible fan marches could begin as early as 5:00pm and cause traffic problems throughout the city.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Serbia Country Specific Information.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Serbia, located at Bulevar kneza Aleksandra Karadordevica 92, at +381 (11) 706-4000, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is also +381 (11) 706-4000.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.