The U.S. Embassy Athens informs U.S citizens of the following demonstration, student’s parade and soccer game
Demonstration in Athens
There are no known demonstrations planned for today.
Demonstration in Thessaloniki
Where: Arch of Galerius (Kamara)
Demonstrations, student’s parade and Soccer game for the upcoming weekend
There are no known Demonstrations planned for the upcoming weekend
Students’ parade for Saturday, October 28th:
11:00 - 12:00 Athens High School students will parade in front of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (Syntagma Square) in commemoration of ΟΧΙ Day.
The parade will start from the corner of Amalias and Olgas Avenues, will pass in front of the VIP stand stationed in front of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the march will end at Panepistimiou Avenue in front of the Athens University (Propylea area).
Traffic police will enforce rolling street closures beginning at 9:00 am and as the parade progresses.
These streets are: Amalias Ave., Panepistimiou Ave., Portion of Vas. Sofias Ave (from Sekeri St. to Panepistimiou Ave)
Note: The Hellenic military parade will take place in Thessaloniki on the same date and time.
A soccer game will take part at Panathinaikos soccer field at Saturday October 28th at 19.30hrs
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations
For further information:
- See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Greece.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- In case of an emergency, contact the U.S. Embassy in Athens, located at 91 Vasilisis Sophias Avenue, at (+30) 210-720-2414, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m, Monday through Friday except U.S. and Greek holidays. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (+30) 210-729-4444. You can email the U.S. Embassy in Athens atAthensAmericanCitizenServices@state.gov.
- If you are a U.S. citizen in the Thessaloniki district with an emergency during office hours, contact the U.S. Consulate General in Thessaloniki by telephone at (+30) 231-024-2905; after hours, contact the U.S. Embassy in Athens at (+30) 210-729-4444.
- Call +1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or +1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook