U.S. Embassy Belgrade informs U.S. citizens that, with the start of the 2017 soccer season, there is the potential for violence before, during, and after some soccer matches. In the past, there have also been clashes between police and soccer fans both in stadiums and the surrounding areas.
Police presence may be increased around soccer stadiums. Matches between traditional rivals, including Partizan and Red Star, are high risk events because of violence at previous games. The Partizan, Red Star, Čukarički, and Rad stadiums are located in residential areas in Belgrade. U.S. citizens are generally advised to avoid the vicinity of high-profile sporting events.
Football club Red Star will play Partizan on Sunday, August 27, 2017, at Red Star stadium at 7:00 pm. This is a high risk event because of animosity between hooligans affiliated with both teams, and frequent clashes between them in and around the stadium. Expect a large police presence in the area.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to review the schedule for the 2017/2018 Serbian Super League season and make plans accordingly.
We remind all U.S. citizens that demonstrations and events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Serbia Country Specific Information.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Serbia, located at Bulevar kneza Aleksandra Karadordevica 92, at +381 (11) 706-4000, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is also +381 (11) 706-4000.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.