Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following places in Bamako, Mali:
- Monument de l’Independence
- Palais de la Culture
Events: There will be a meeting organized by Imam Mahmoud Dicko to denounce poor governance in Mali on September 7th at the Palais de la Culture starting at 9:00. In addition, a demonstration organized by the group “Platform Against Corruption” is scheduled to take place at the Monument de l’Independence starting at 14:00 on September 7th. While the demonstrations are intended to be peaceful, recent events have encountered a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas, and other riot control measures.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the listed locations on September 7th, 2019.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
· Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
· Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
· Review your personal security plans
· Keep a low profile
· Be aware of your surroundings
· Keep some form of communication with you
· Monitor local media for updates on locations and time of the demonstrations
· U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
· +223 20 70 23 00
· +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
· State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs - 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.