The Government of Burundi announced the following updated COVID-19 prevention measures, effective immediately:
- All land and water borders are closed except for the movement of goods.
· All travelers arriving at Melchior Ndadaye International Airport will be subject to a mandatory quarantine of seven calendar days at a designated quarantine hotel.
· All travelers arriving in Burundi need to provide a negative PCR test result within 72 hours of arrival and will also be required to undergo a minimum of two COVID-19 tests; the first upon disembarkation at a cost of $100 cash and the second (at no cost) on the sixth day of quarantine.
· Those who test positive for COVID-19 will be transferred to a care center for processing at their own expense.
· Transport of travelers from the airport to quarantine hotels will be provided by Burundi National Police officers who will also ensure strict enforcement of quarantine rules in the hotels.
· All persons requesting in-person services from the Bujumbura Mairie, or any of the Mairie’s satellite buildings in the zones or communes, must wear a face mask.
· All drivers and passengers of public transport vehicles, including taxis, motos and bicycle taxis, must wear a face mask.
· Night clubs and karaoke bars in Burundi are closed until further notice.
· Burundi’s national testing and prevention campaign was relaunched on January 11, 2021, and residents of Bujumbura are encouraged to voluntarily submit to a free test at one of the screening sites throughout the city.
· Persons who violate quarantine or other prevention measures may be subject to fines or other penalties.
The health situation in Burundi remains fluid and the U.S. Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens prepare for possible future restrictions.
Please consult the U.S. Embassy's COVID-19 webpage for additional information on conditions in Burundi.
The Department of State has issued a Level 3 Travel Advisory for Burundi.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Notice for Burundi.
Actions to Take:
U.S. Embassy Bujumbura, Burundi
During business hours: +257 22 20 7000
After hours: +257 22 20 7318 or +257 79 93 8841
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
State Department - Consular Affairs
+1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
Burundi Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter