Various organizations have planned peaceful demonstrations and roadblocks across Guatemala on Saturday, November 21, according to public reporting. Participants will consist of several groups and organizations, and will demonstrate against the Guatemalan Congress’s recently approved budget.
The demonstrations will take place at 2:00 p.m. in different plazas throughout the country. Among the announced locations are:
- In front of the National Palace and Congress in Zone 1 of Guatemala City
- In front of the local municipality in Antigua Guatemala.
- At the central parks of Escuintla, Chimaltenango, Jalapa, Jutiapa, Quetzaltenango, Huehuetenango, Cobán and Mazatenango.
Additionally, roadblocks have been announced, for the following locations:
- Km. 390 in Poptún, Petén
- CA-1, Km. 188 “Cuatro Caminos” in Totonicapán
In Guatemala City, organizations are calling for demonstrators to gather at El Obelisco at 11:00 a.m. and proceed towards the Guatemalan Congress. The demonstration is expected to consist of a vehicle caravan and will likely pass in front of the U.S. Embassy on Avenida Reforma. U.S. citizens should expect traffic disruptions along the planned demonstration route, and should avoid traveling in the vicinity of Avenida Reforma from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and will provide additional information as needed.
Actions to Take:
- In Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid affected areas, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
Tel. (502) 2326-4000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Guatemala Country Information and Travel Advisory Page
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter