Location: Central Japan, including Tokyo (October 12-13, 2019)
Event: Based on current tracking, Typhoon Hagibis (Typhoon No. 19) is expected to bring extremely high winds, dangerous storm tides, heavy rainfall, and possible flooding to areas of Central Japan, including the Tokyo area, beginning Saturday, October 12, 2019, and continuing through Sunday, October 13, 2019.
Any closures of Mission Japan facilities will be communicated via Facebook, Twitter, and the Embassy website.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid travel to affected areas until the storm has dissipated.
- All U.S. citizens living in or traveling to the area should monitor local weather reports, follow directions from local officials, and take other appropriate actions as needed.
- Seek secure shelter as appropriate.
- The Japan Meteorological Service’s Typhoon tracking information may be found in English at this webpage: http://www.jma.go.jp/en/typh/. Information about the latest typhoon is also available from the Joint Typhoon Warning Center at https://metoc.ndbc.noaa.gov/jtwc.
For further information about security in Japan:
For any emergencies involving U.S. citizens, please contact the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit of either the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo or one of the U.S. Consulates in Japan.
U.S. Embassy Tokyo
American Citizen Services
1-10-5 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8420
After Hours: 03-3224-5000
The U.S. Embassy serves Americans in Tokyo, Chiba, Fukushima, Gunma, Ibaraki, Kanagawa, Nagano, Niigata, Saitama, Shizuoka, Tochigi, Yamagata and Yamanashi.
11-5, Nishitenma 2-chome, Kita-ku, Osaka 530-8543
Serving Americans in Osaka, Aichi, Ehime, Fukui, Gifu, Hiroshima, Hyogo, Ishikawa, Kagawa, Kochi, Kyoto, Mie, Nara, Okayama, Shimane, Shiga, Tokushima, Tottori, Toyama, and Wakayama prefectures.
Nagoya International Center Bldg. 6th floor
1-47-1 Nagono, Nakamura-ku, Nagoya 450-0001
Tel (052) 581-4501
Fax: (052) 581-3190
Providing emergency consular services only (including death and arrest cases) for Americans living in Aichi, Gifu, and Mie prefectures.
5-26, Ohori 2-chome
Chuo-ku, Fukuoka 810-0052
Serving Americans in Fukuoka, Kagoshima, Kumamoto, Miyazaki, Nagasaki, Oita, Saga and Yamaguchi prefectures.
Kita 1-jo, Nishi 28-chome
Chuo-ku, Sapporo 064-0821
Serving Americans in Akita, Aomori, Hokkaido, Iwate and Miyagi prefectures.
2-1-1 Toyama, Urasoe City
Serving Americans in Okinawa and the Amami Oshima Island group
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook