Location: Kuwait International Airport, and all Kuwaiti land and sea borders
Event: The Government of Kuwait has announced an extension of the airport closure for non-Kuwaiti citizens.
This message supersedes the Embassy’s Health Alert issued on February 20.
On February 20, the Government of Kuwait announced that it is extending the ban on the entry of non-Kuwaiti citizens until further notice instead of allowing non-Kuwaiti citizens to enter Kuwait on February 21 as previously announced. There are exceptions available for first-degree relatives of Kuwaiti citizens and domestic employees traveling with them. Details can be found at corona.e.gov.kw/en.
Passengers who are permitted to arrive in Kuwait are still required to obtain and travel with a negative PCR test result, in English, administered by a health clinic within 72 hours of beginning their travel to Kuwait. No translation into Arabic language is required. Passengers will still receive a PCR test administered by Kuwait health officials upon arrival (at the traveler’s expense). Children under the age of six (6) are exempt from the pre-arrival and on-arrival PCR tests.
Passengers who are permitted to arrive in Kuwait must undergo seven (7) days of institutional quarantine upon arrival at a hotel in Kuwait, at their own expense. Another PCR test, also at the traveler’s expense, will be performed on the sixth day of quarantine. If negative, the remaining seven (7) days of quarantine may be completed at home. Hotel booking and registration is done in advance of travel through Kuwait Mosafer (or the Belsalamah app for domestic employees who have registered).
Kuwaiti patients seeking treatment abroad, Kuwaiti students studying abroad, unaccompanied minors under 18, medical staff, and members of diplomatic corps are excluded from the institutional quarantine requirement and are instead subject to a 14-day home quarantine.
All arriving passengers must still download the Shlonik application prior to beginning their travel to Kuwait and register on the Kuwait Traveler Platform (Kuwait Mosafer).
- Stay abreast of local news and information concerning travel restrictions. Please note that while you may be able to make an online purchase for a flight, flights may not be guaranteed and your flight may still be cancelled.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions
- Consult the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. citizens should continue to check the Embassy website and follow our social media platforms for announcements.
- If you have not done so already, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and messages from the Embassy.
U.S. Embassy Kuwait
P.O. Box 77
Telephone: (+965) 2259-1001
Emergency Telephone: (+965) 2259-1001
Fax: (+965) 2538-0282