Security Alert - U.S. Embassy Kingston, Jamaica (November 7, 2019)
Location: Parishes throughout Jamaica
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Kingston advises U.S. citizens that the Government of Jamaica has extended States of Public Emergency (SOE) covering several parishes, based on criminal activity and threats to public safety and the rule of law. The SOE, declared under the 1966 Emergency Powers Act, gives expanded authorities to Jamaican security forces to arbitrarily detain and deport suspicious persons, enter premises, and seize property without warrant. Expect to encounter increased police and military presence, checkpoints, and searches of persons and vehicles within the parishes listed below.
State of Emergency Location - Current Expiration
St. Andrew South Police Division - January 4, 2020
St. James Parish - January 27, 2020
Hanover Parish - January 27, 2020
Westmoreland Parish - January 27, 2020
St. Catherine Parish - January 18, 2020
Clarendon Parish - January 18, 2020
Zones of Special Operation Location - Current Expiration
Denham Town, Kingston - January 18, 2020
Mount Salem, St. James - January 7, 2020
Actions to Take:
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Be aware of your surroundings.
· Cooperate with any police or military personnel you may encounter.
· Do not resist a police or military inspection of your vehicle and personal belongings.
· Allow additional time for transit on the roads in the areas noted above.
· U.S. Embassy Kingston, Jamaica
· U.S. Consular Agency Montego Bay
· U.S. Consular Agency Cayman Islands
· State Department - Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
· Jamaica Country Information
· Cayman Island Country Information
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook