Location: Bern and possibly other cities in Switzerland
Event: Demonstrators will gather in Bern and possibly other cities on Saturday, November 9, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in regards to conditions at refugee camps in Switzerland and U.S. policies concerning Syria. The demonstration will start at the Bundesplatz at 2:00 p.m. and from there the demonstrators will march through downtown Bern. Local authorities expect up to 2,000 demonstrators.
Planned and unplanned demonstrations on a variety of topics are expected to continue over the next weeks in locations throughout Switzerland. Please exercise caution in and around the U.S. Embassy, Consular Agencies, and other locations where demonstrators might gather.
Actions to Take:
• Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
• Monitor local media for information about specific demonstrations
• Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or demonstrations
• Keep a low profile
• Follow the instructions of local authorities at all times
U.S. Embassy Bern, Switzerland
031 357 70 11 (dialing within Switzerland)
+41 31 357 70 11 (dialing from overseas)
State Department – Bureau of Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada)
+1-202-501-4444 (from other countries)
• Switzerland Country Specific Information
• Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
• Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
• Get Alertswiss, a mobile app by the Federal Office for Civil Protection, to help you plan for and stay safe in an emergency while in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.