Security Alert: January 27, 2021 Demonstration Activity in Downtown Sofia
Location: Various political groups are expected to demonstrate in the vicinity of government offices in downtown Sofia on Wednesday, 27 January 2021. The demonstration activity is expected to occur in the area located around the Council of Ministers building and Eagle Bridge in downtown Sofia.
Event: U.S. Citizens are recommended to avoid the areas impacted by demonstration activities for the duration of the events. Road closures and a significant police presence around the downtown area will lead to heavier than normal traffic delays throughout downtown Sofia. Please note that road closures and demonstration locations can change quickly.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas of demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly found in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and to make it easier to locate you in an emergency. The Department uses these security messages to convey information about terrorist threats, security incidents, planned demonstrations, natural disasters, etc.