The Government of Bangladesh has announced a countrywide lockdown to limit the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. The U.S. Embassy will be closed for routine U.S. citizen services from Monday, April 5 for a duration of seven (7) days – or for the duration of the lockdown in the event it is extended. All U.S. citizen services appointments already scheduled for the week will be rescheduled. In the event of an immediate service need or emergency, please email DhakaACS@state.gov to request an emergency appointment.
The Embassy will reopen U.S. citizen services appointments after the lockdown is lifted.
Government of Bangladesh Restrictions include:
- Residents should remain in their homes from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. except for emergencies or for essential needs, such as shopping for food and medicine.
- Residents are advised to work from home if possible.
- Public transportation is suspended to include passenger trains.
- No travel is allowed from district to district.
- Domestic flights are suspended. International flights remain operational.
- No indoor dining services are allowed. Delivery food service options are available.
- Grocery stores and pharmacies may remain open.
- Residents are allowed to shop in bazaars only when necessary.
- Shopping malls, gyms, sports complexes, and recreation centers are closed.
- No public gatherings of any kind are allowed.
- Maximum five people are allowed for daily prayer at every mosque, and 10 people maximum are allowed for Friday prayer.
- All tourist locations are closed.
- ATM services are open. Banks can operate in a limited capacity.
- Factories and agricultural-related industries can remain operational.
For additional lockdown information read the full Government of Bangladesh circular:
https://cabinet.gov.bd/. The circular is available under the “Notice Board.”
For information on flight operations, please contact your airline carrier.
Please enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive U.S. Embassy Bangladesh updates: https://step.state.gov/.
Please consult the U.S. Embassy’s website (https://bd.usembassy.gov/) for additional information on the situation in Bangladesh and the Department of State’s COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
You can contact the U.S. Embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh, located at Madani Avenue, Baridhara, Dhaka Bangladesh 1212, at (88) (02) 5566-2000, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday through Thursday except for holidays. On holidays or weekends the after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (88) (02) 5566-2000; after dialing press “0” and ask for the duty officer.
Further Actions to Take: