Location: Iceland; severe winter storm conditions countrywide.
The U.S. Embassy Reykjavik will be closed Friday, February 14, 2020 and will reopen on Tuesday, February 18 (Monday, February 17 is a federal holiday and all U.S. embassies/consulates will be closed.)
Event: The Icelandic Meteorological Office has issued a weather alert for February 14 for all of Iceland due to a severe winter storm that will bring hurricane force winds and rain/snow to the island. Road closures are expected, and NO TRAVEL is advised.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid traveling in and between cities as many roads will be closed and public transportation will be affected.
· Check with your airline if you are scheduled to arrive or depart Iceland in the next few days as domestic and international flights have already been affected. Icelandair has cancelled all flights for Friday, February 14.
· Monitor the local news for updates (including the online English language newspaper The Iceland Monitor https://(icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/ )
· Seek secure shelter.
· Follow the latest weather forecast on http://en.vedur.is, as well as road conditions on http://www.road.is
· Follow the latest alerts on www.safetravel.is
· U.S. Embassy Reykjavik, Iceland
+354-595-2248 (after hours)
· State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Iceland Country Information [https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Iceland.html]
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates