Location: Barcelona, Spain
Event: The verdict in the trial of pro-independence Catalan leaders is expected to be announced soon. Significant demonstration activity may take place throughout Catalonia after the verdict is made public. In the past, demonstrations have disrupted public transportation and have included gatherings near government facilities.
Please see our Demonstrations in Spain webpage for more information.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
· Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Be aware of your surroundings.
· Keep a low profile.
· Notify friends and family of your safety.
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following website:
Also, view updates on Twitter, Facebook and Official Websites from the Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police), Barcelona City Police, Spanish National Police and Guardia Civil:
Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police)
Barcelona City Police
· U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
· U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Spain Country Information
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.