Location: Mexicali and the Mexicali Valley, Baja California
Event: Cartel Violence
Travelers should exercise increased caution when traveling in and around Mexicali, the Mexicali Valley, and the western part of the state of Sonora due to the possibility for heightened violence between rival cartel factions.
Members of the embassy community have been advised to avoid the Mexicali area until further notice.
Actions to Take:
- Review Mexico Country Information and Travel Advisory.
- Remain vigilant during the daylight hours and avoid travel at night.
- Monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency call 911.
- Keep your friends and loved ones up to date on your whereabouts – via phone, text, and social media – and let them know you are safe, when possible.
- If you are a U.S. citizen traveling to, or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive safety messages and other travel information.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call (55) 8526 2561 from Mexico or 1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
- U.S. Consulate General Tijuana, Mexico
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- Mexico Country Information
- Follow U.S. Department of State Travel.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Consulate Tijuana on Facebook and Twitter.