Location: The Republic of Moldova
Event: Moldova has issued a 60-day State of Emergency effective April 3, 2021. Announcements from the Commission and restrictions under the ongoing State of Public Health Emergency are available on the Government of Moldova website. Effective tonight, there is a mandatory curfew in Chisinau and Balti from 11:00 p.m. until 5:00 a.m. daily, with exceptions for duty, medical care, emergencies, and transportation into and out of Moldova. Anyone outside during this time should carry identification and a signed self-declaration with their personal information and the details of the times and purpose of their travel.
During the State of Emergency, all city parks, forests, playgrounds, and recreation spaces are closed. Face-masks are mandatory in all public spaces, including outdoors. Night clubs and other such venues remain closed. All restaurants, bars, and cafes must close at 8:00 pm. Theaters and concert halls are closed, and sports competitions are currently prohibited. Groups of more than three people are prohibited in public areas. Additional restrictions could be lifted or (re)imposed with little notice.
Effective March 5, 2021, anyone entering Moldova must present a negative COVID test taken within the previous 72 hours. Exceptions include children under the age of five, passengers in transit, and holders of COVID vaccine certificates, among others. Questions on entry into Moldova should be directed to the Moldovan Border Police.
The U.S. Embassy in Chisinau continues to provide limited American Citizen Services. If you have questions, please visit our website for additional information. You may also email us at: ChisinauACS@state.gov.
The Department of State has issued a Level 3 Travel Advisory for Moldova advising U.S. citizens to reconsider travel to Moldova due to COVID-19.
The Chisinau International Airport is open to commercial flights, but flights are limited; airlines will make independent decisions on service into Chisinau. Travelers should regularly check with their airline or travel agent for the most current information on available flights.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the CDC website for latest guidance regarding testing requirements.
- Check the CDC page on COVID-19 in Moldova for specific information.
- Check with your air carriers or travel representative prior to departure for the United States.
- Check COVID-19 Country Specific Information updated information on COVID-19 related information including availability of testing.
- Visit travel.state.gov to view individual Travel Advisories for the most urgent threats to safety and security.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Click here for our COVID FAQs Search Tool.
- Read all orders from the Moldovan National Public Health Emergency Commission in Romanian language here.
- U.S. Embassy Chisinau, Moldova
+373 2240 8300
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444