Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following places in Bamako, Mali:
· Bourse du Travail
Events: There will be a demonstration organized by the Solidarite Africaine Pour la Democratie et l’Independence to support the Malian Army and protest the presence of the French military in Mali on Friday, November 29 beginning at 14:00. The event is authorized by the local government. While the demonstrations are expected to be peaceful, recent events have encountered a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas, and other riot control measures.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the listed location on November 29, 2019.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid the areas of the demonstration
· Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
· Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
· Review your personal security plans
· Keep a low profile
· Be aware of your surroundings
· Keep some form of communication with you
· Monitor local media for updates on locations and time of the demonstration
· U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
· +223 20 70 23 00
· +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
· State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs - 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.