The Department of State renewed its Travel Advisory for Chad on October 2, 2019. This is a periodic review and no changes were made. The Department continues to advise travelers to reconsider travel to Chad due to crime, terrorism, and minefields.
Travel Advisory Level 3: Reconsider Travel C T O
Reconsider travel to Chad due to crime, terrorism, and minefields.
Country Summary: Violent crimes, such as armed robbery, carjacking, and muggings, have been reported. There was a significant increase in these crimes in 2018.
Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting foreigners, local security forces, and civilians. They can easily cross borders, including in the Lake Chad region; borders may close without notice.
There are unmapped and undocumented minefields along the borders with both Libya and Sudan.
The U.S. Government has extremely limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in Chad as U.S. Government employees must obtain special authorization to travel outside of the capital, including the Lake Chad Basin.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page
If you decide to travel to Chad:
· Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.
· Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
· Be aware of your surroundings.
· Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners.
· Have contingency plans to leave the country.
· Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
· Review the Crime and Safety Report for Chad.
· U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
U.S. Embassy in N’Djamena, located at Chagoua Round Point.
Telephone +235 22-51-50-17.
After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +235 66-62-21-00 or +235 22-51-50-17.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Chad Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook
To unsubscribe from this list:https://step.state.gov/STEP/Pages/Common/Subscribe.aspx. Please note that the embassy or consulate cannot unsubscribe your address on your behalf.