Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following places in Bamako, Mali:
· Place de Liberte
· Monument de L'Independance
Events: The Teachers Union is planning a march at 8:00 am on Thursday, February 13, 2020. The march will begin at the Place de Liberte and continue to the Monument de L’Independance. The purpose of the demonstration is to demand that the government implement several policies. The demonstration is authorized by the government.
While the demonstration is expected to be peaceful, recent demonstrations have caused traffic disruptions. Previous protests have seen a strong police/security force presence, the use of tear gas, and other riot control measures.
U.S. citizens are strongly advised to avoid the demonstration on February 13, 2020.
American citizens are advised to:
· Avoid the areas of the demonstration
· Continue to exercise vigilance while in Mali
· Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
· Review your personal security plans
· Keep a low profile
· Be aware of your surroundings
· Keep some form of communication with you
· Monitor local media for updates on locations and times of the demonstration
· U.S. Embassy Bamako, Mali
· +223 20 70 23 00
· +223 66 75 28 60 (after-hours emergencies)
· State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs - 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for Mali.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.