Location: Gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following areas in Albania:
· Parliament Building (Tirana)
· Prime Minister’s Office (Tirana)
· Other government buildings (Tirana)
Event: A large demonstration is expected to take place near the Prime Minister’s Office on Monday, July 8, 2019, beginning around 8:00 p.m. The group intends to demonstrate against the Albanian government and may move to different locations in Tirana. The duration of the expected demonstration is unknown. Recent demonstrations have included violence. Security forces have used water cannons and tear gas to disperse crowds.
U.S. Embassy personnel and family members have been directed to avoid all gathering points and locations where demonstrations are imminent or ongoing.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid large gatherings and any areas where demonstrations are imminent or ongoing.
· Be aware of your surroundings.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Keep a low profile
· U.S. Embassy Tirana, Albania
+(355) (0)4224-7285 (after hours)
· State Department - Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Albania Country Information
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
· Follow us on Facebook and Twitter