Travel Alert - U. S. Embassy Maputo, Mozambique (14 January 2021)
Event: On January 13, President Nyusi announced new mitigation measures to combat COVID-19, effective from January 15 for 21 days.
Some of the measures include:
· All incoming travelers must present a negative test for COVID-19
· All persons displaying respiratory symptoms or fever must stay home
· Restaurants and similar venues will observe the following schedule: Monday to Friday from 0600 to 2000, Saturday and Sunday from 0600 to 1500
· Commercial establishments must close at 1800
· Discos, bars and stalls selling alcoholic beverages will remain closed
· The sale of alcoholic beverages by bottle stores, greengrocers or supermarkets is only allowed between 0800 and 1300 from Monday to Saturday.
· Cultural and recreational activities in cinemas, theatres, museums, galleries, cultural centers and catering establishments are suspended
· Gyms, swimming pools and other sports venues dedicated to the practice of physical exercises will remain closed
· The beaches are closed for purposes of physical and leisure activities; however, this restriction does not apply to sidewalks, pedestrian zones and boardwalks adjacent to beaches
· Private events are limited to 30 people (50 if outdoors), physical distancing of 2 meters between people must be observed, and events must be finished by 2000
· Worship services, conferences and other types of meetings must be limited to 50 people
· Expired official documents are valid until May 30, 2021 (U.S. citizens are advised to check the Boletim da Republica when it is released to confirm this date)
· Teleworking is recommended, in particular for people at higher risk
Actions to Take: · Visit the Embassy COVID-19 page. · Visit the CDC Travelers Health Page for Mozambique.
· Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
· Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
· U.S. Embassy Maputo, Mozambique
For Emergencies: +258-855-911-911
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444 · Mozambique Country Information · Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and updates · Follow us on Facebook and Twitte